<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Here's Liz


In her younger days they called her Delta Dawn.. Oops, wrong story. Back in the early 1970s, when Lucille Ball propped up her third and weakest series with heavy over-reliance on celebrity guests, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton were featured one week.

In that episode, Liz made the considerable mistake of allowing Lucy to try on her most famous piece of jewelery, the 33-carat Krupp Diamond; needless to say, it didn't come off Lucy's finger as easily as it came on...
This epochal small-screen event made the cover of the then-ubiquitous TV Guide magazine..

I once collected TV Guides, one of my many childhood peculiarities... I had over 500 different issues at one point! I sold my collection - for about US$100 - in my senior year of high school...

Joan Rivers has been awfully quiet today....

Liz Taylor's weight was the subject of many unkind jokes, but one exception is a great line by an 80s-era drag queen:

"Remember we all used to wish we looked like Elizabeth Taylor? Well... Now we all do!"


this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?