<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's A Mad, Mad, But High-Quality World


Icy January will reach a frigid crescendo in New York tomorrow with highs in the mid-teens, but this weekend was so chilly in the low twenties that I wore longjohns, thick gloves, a hat, and the extra lining in my winter coast.

We saw no films, but were instead blown away by the final two episodes Mad Men's Season 3, in which JFK is shot (one spoiler I couldn't avoid reading...) and the cast grapples with exhilarating but risky changes as they roll with the slings and arrows of career disruption.

I like "The New Television" - just 13 episodes per year, but every frame, each line of dialogue is critically acclaimable. I hear Mad Men is unlikely to exceed 5 or 6 seasons, which is too bad. We've travelled from 1960 to 1964, through the America of my earliest memories, and I'd be fascinated to watch these characters face the late 60s and the 70s...


Interestingly, in the 1960s career threats from corporate mergers and reorganizations were less common than today, except perhaps in the high-stakes, high-risk advertising game.. In that respect, the Season 3 travails of the Mad Men cast of characters are achingly familiar...

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?