<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Mad Money


When the subject of money arises my favorite TV series, the early 1960s-based Mad Men, amounts sound surreal and I feel a bit lost. No more! I've found an on-line inflation calculator that translates 1963 prices into present-day dollars.

In last night's episode (really last year's, on DVD), we learn that Polaroid film cost an outrageous $3! In today's money, $21.37.

Earlier, characters sometimes referred to their salaries. Slippery, insecure Pete Campbell told his wife he made $75/week, that would be $534 today. Could he mean after-tax? It would add up to $27,768 per year in 2010 dollars, surely not an junior ad man's earnings. But this show's such a stickler for period detail I can't imagine them messing this up... Hmm.. Secretary-turned-copywriter Peggy Olson asks for - and gets - a $5/week raise from Don Draper, from her base of $34/week. In 2010 dollars, a $34/week raise from $242/week - I sure hope this is after-tax. Finally, executive Harry asked Roger for a raise from $200/week - $1,424/week today, now that's more like it. As the series hurtles toward 1964 and 1965, I'll keep my ear peeled for more prices from my kindergarten years.


this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?