<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Singular Experience


How I love film awards season! Last night I saw the superb 'A Single Man,' Colin Firth's tour de force performance as a 50-ish college professor reeling from the death of his partner, in late 1962..

It's a compelling, poetic, emotional bullseye. I'll have a full review sometime this week, there's a lot to say.

Off the top, I'll add that seeing the loss, pain, wistfulness, confusion, and hormones of a gay man made the experience of watching quite immediate, being so used to unconsciously 'transposing' straight sexuality on screen into my equivalent experience. I hope Firth gets a well-deserved Oscar - his competition appears to be Jeff Bridges - you can follow this horse race on Clayton Davis' wonderful Awards Circuit site.

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?