<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 15, 2008

Paint Them (Humorously) Black


I always knew I'd feature here the ironic Florida-based indie pop band Black Kids, but I didn't think the song title would be as simple as 'Hurricane Jane,' whose contrasting but catchy pieces and sultry beat slide over you like the ocean wind on a hot beach day.

Their earlier titles were long and awesome "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend To Dance With You" and "I Guess I've Underestimated My Charm Again."

The former is already an indie classic on both sides of the ocean... In the UK these Americans have even scored minor hits with 'Not Gonna Teach' and "Dance'... that's not uncommon, for US bands to build a decent following and critical acclaim stateside, with no radio play, and then hit in the UK, a much smaller market where it's easier to catch on nationally very quickly.
Their debut album 'Partie Traumatic' does not disappoint - not one clunker in the bunch...

Video clip for 'Hurricane Jane' is uses lovely retro special effects echoing its 70s horns & strings and its late-80s perky and tricky beat, all pulled off looking through 2008 glasses...


Instant classic! "I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend To Dance With You" is likely a particularly energetic and witty Cure single, with some gender bending and retro production...

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?