<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Return to Jackson Heights: Every Store Has A Story


Back in my old hood for Queens Pridefest four weeks back, I checked out my old haunts. Here's El Chivito D'Oro, a good place to savor an Argentine/Uruguayan 'parrillada,' or mixed grill. I ate here with Andres a few times, and later with other friends, most recently in 2004 with Denis and Thomas during the former's visit.. They also sell local specialties like 'matambre' (layered baked coldcuts), 'empanadas' (every country has its own) and 'ensalada rusa' (potato salad's Argentine cousin).
DSC04368

One could say that the above eatery serves 'River Plate' cuisine, since Buenos Aires, Argentina faces off against Uruguay over the 70-mile-wide river mouth known as Rio de la Plata... This laundromat makes me sad. It was run by an Argentine, Don José, and his wife...Sadly, two years later he was gunned down while on the job, a real shock for the normally peaceful neighborhood. Later, it was sold to a Russian family with whom I used to practice Russian...
DSC04371

'Tierras Colombianas' will always remind me of a poorly-planned Latin night out with the women from my office, circa 1986. They rode the mighty 7 train with me for a Colombian dinner followed by salsa dancing at a local nightspot. The problem is, Colombian food is so HEAVY - several kinds of meats, three, count 'em, three starches - rice, potato, and yucca. Needless to say, everyone overate so badly that we felt like lead. No dancing for us, I had to roll my colleagues home....
DSC04404


Cartoons du Jour:



this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?