<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 02, 2008

Happy Birthday, Aunt Eleanor!


My Aunt Eleanor turns 80 today, and I'll call her. She's sweet, very particular, and not very well, alas.

My Dad was her baby brother, and back on his birthday, April 23, I mused that he never lived to see the Internet. Well, neither did Aunt Eleanor, still alive in 2008, 17 years after Dad's passing.

Israel, where she lives, is a now a high-tech country, but Aunt Eleanor's apartment has changed very little since I spent the summer there in 1969.

I'll call her, and I'll have to yell to be understood. But I'll yell with love, and appreciation.....

That's Aunt Eleanor standing at left, with her late sister, my Aunt Lorraine, sitting, and Aunt Lorraine's very cool son, my Cousin Rich, towering above them both.

Rich and I visited Aunt Eleanor and Israel in late 2006.

Song of the Week: Warwick Avenue


Today's Song of the Week, 'Warwick Avenue,' is a rich, lush, soulful 60s ballad by young Welsh singer Duffy (immediate left), and it reminds me of my Great Aunt Lena (far left) for two reasons. One, she lived for decades in Lowell MA at 52 Warwick St. Two, the record recalls Dusty Springfield, Lulu, and Petula Clark, three artists I was very likely to hear as child during many, many trips from New York to visit our Massachusetts family....

Unlike many SOTWs, the British Aimee Anne Duffy is poised for huge success in the US, with her lead single 'Mercy' steadily climbing the pop and adult pop charts... But in the UK she's had THREE hits, and I'm in love with strings - and gutsiness - of 'Warwick Avenue' Here's the video clip, followed by 'Mercy' and her second hit/album title track 'Rockferry.'


Here's her US hit 'Mercy,' Dusty with a touch of Aretha...


Finally, 'Rockferry,' another lovely 60s ballad...


Cartoon du Jour:

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?