<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 19, 2008

Everyone Knows That A Dog Dressed In Clothes


...is still a dog... sometimes one single lyric cystallizes and defines 'cool' for me, and I'm having such a moment with this lyrical snippet, from today's Song/Video of the Week, Shortwave Set's 'No Social...'

I had this song in my head for weeks, and even put this lyric in my Bloomberg header at work, which people see when they send me a message on that network.. but everyone asked me what company I was referring to, so I removed it... : - )



Back to Shortwave Set, a London-based alternative pop trio. Andrew Pettit and David Farrell are Brits, Ulrika Bjorsne is from Sweden - Andrew and Ulrika sing and play guitar while David provides samples and decks.

Their influences leave no decade behind: combine 60s pop melodicism, 70s earthiness and grooves, 80s new wave attitude, 90s lyrical smarts, and contemporary production.

For three years the Set gathered such critical acclaim and a cult following and attracted the attention of production genius Danger Mouse, also known as 1/2 of Gnarls Barkley.

The resulting album, 'Replica Sun Machine,' is an undiluted joy... Ten delightful songs, in just 39:14, that will no doubt feature prominently on my own personal soundtrack of Summer 2008

Here's the groovy clip for 'No Social:'


Here's a collage of Shortwave Set live footage set to 'Casual Use,' from their first album, 'Debt Collection'...



Cartoon du Jour:

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?