<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 03, 2008

Art On My Doorstep: Sunghee Jang


SHJ-122-PS1From time to time I remember that I live among Manhattan's greatest concentration of galleries with all the contemporary art riches that this implies...

Last week's gallery spin yielded some wonderful finds, the best of which is Sunghee Jang, a Korean-born recent grad of NY's School of Visual Art.

Jang's current exhibition at Gallery Henoch, 555 W 25th St, is a wonder to behold...

I was so taken by her paintings that I fantasized long and deep about spending on art what most Americans would spend on a small car... My favorite is this blue job on the left...


Jang's works tend to be monochromatic takes on urban settings, using reflections and shades of light to coax deep nuances from that single color. The bare settings suggest a loneliness with echoes of Edward Hopper... Jang rarely names her paintings...



... from here we go to dark orange...

SHJ-123-Midnight-in-PV

....and eerie green...
SHJ-121-417

...this one has an almost art-deco quality - very Hopper-esque...
SHJ-103

This sketch-like gray number reminds me of art direction in 1920s German expressionist films like 'Dr Caligari' and 'Metropolis'
SHJ-107

Cartoons du Jour:




this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?