<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 27, 2008


Quote of the Day: Humphrey Bogart, to someone claiming he couldn't keep up with him: 'What do you want me to do, learn to stutter?'

SOTW: Rhythm of the Saint


This week's Song/Video of the Week is "Jesus Saves, I Spend," a smart but non-humorous musing by St Vincent, a.k.a. Annie Clark, whose show I'm seeing with David on Friday, in two days!

Clark is a singer/songwriter multi-instrumentalist from Texas who was a member of choral symphonic pop outfit Polyphonic Spree until she went solo last year with her delightful "Marry Me" album...

Clark is something of a sui generis.... Her songs are personal, bare, almost acoustic with subtly incisive lyrics...






Sample lyrics:

'While Jesus is saving / I'm spending all my days,
in backgrounds and landscapes, with the languages of saints'

- from 'Jesus Saves, I Spend'

'Sticks and stones have made me smarter,
it's words that cut me under my armor they say'

- from 'Paris is Burning'









Here's the wonderful clip of 'Jesus Saves, I Spend:'


and here's Annie singing 'Marry Me' live at the September 2007 Swerve Festival in Hollywood:



Cartoon du Jour:

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?