<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 08, 2008


Later this week, Eye on Oscar... Reviews of 'Atonement' and 'Charlie Wilson's War'..

This Is Amy Winehouse


In case you were wondering what the fuss is about, I'll lay it down for you.

"They say I've gotta to to Rehab, and I say, no, no, no' " - the opening line of her single crystallizes Amy Winehouse - she's written a new song about her own substance abuse problems in the style and shape of a mid-60s Motown classic.

I'm always happy when something quirky and high-quality gets noticed, so I was when Amy got 6 Grammy Nominations, including for Best Song, Best Album, and Best New Artist. Amy's a household word now in her native UK, but she's gotten very little radio play in the US. But word has gotten around, and the Grammy nominations should be a substantial boost. Her talent outshines all the bad press from her personal and drug problems. I hope she'll get it together.

Her album, 'Back to Black' is a remarkably solid collection of r&b gems with jazz and blues inflections..

Below is a sampling, Amy Winehouse 101.


Our Song of the Week, 'Love Is A Losing Game'


Her signature song, the Motown-esque 'Rehab'...


But it's 'You Know I'm No Good' that's gotten light US airplay...



Cartoon du Jour:

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?