<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 24, 2007

Pest and Post-Pest - An End, A Beginning



This post concludes our two-week Central European travelogue, but I'll continue to dribble out additional great trip photos over the next few weeks.

But our broader journey does continue!

Coming this week: world travel photos (including early August in Mexico City), plus daily cartoons, Song of The Week (a Tuesday e-mail/blog tie-in), and comments on and/or photos of whatever strikes my fancy: film, theater, art, current events, city life oddities, and my own humorous ups and downs..








On the last day of our Central European trip: we strolled and trammed around Budapest's Pest side, in a dripping, soaking, rain-drenched foray .. I think this is the National Opera Building. It was very pretty inside, very lush and ornamented.


St. Stephen's Cathedral on St. Stephen's Square, the iconic heart of Budapest, the scene of much distant and recent history...


St. Stephen's Square's extension is vast, though not so vast as its ex-Eastern Bloc counterparts, the Main Square in Krakow or Red Square in Moscow...



The Cow Parade has invaded Budapest, as it did New York and Buenos Aires and many other capitals over the past few years. You know the deal - local artists are given complete license to decorate a vast army of plastic cows deployed throughout the city center...


Our guide, Josef, said this building wasn't special, just an 'ordinary building' in Budapest. I'm impressed.


Budapest's huge covered marketplace, with endless array of vegetables, meats, knick-knacks and what have you in a beautiful Beaux-Arts building...



Paprika in its ground form...


Cow innards, anyone? My fellow travellers found this far less digestible than the aforementioned plastic cows.


Chicken feet, legs, wings, necks, thighs, and in the center, a tin full of hearts, I think. Missing is the 'poopick', my Mom's yiddish word for a chicken's belly button, I think....


Freshly scooped out beef God-knows-what!


Budapest city street in the rain, it could easily be Paris or... Buenos Aires. The film 'Evita' was filmed half in Buenos Aires, where I spent nearly a year, and half in Budapest, where I spent half a rainy day. On film, damned if I can tell the difference...



Cartoon du Jour: My moon is where?




this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?