<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Fire Fire


My building is evacuated, systems down, trading floor silent, in the wake of an electrical fire yesterday on another floor...

Sadly, I'm the fire captain and I'm stuck down here in Colombia. Among my functions is to check the men's rooms and let anyone there know to finish up quickly and exit the burning building : - ) Should be normalized I hope by Friday, when I'm back in the office.



Strange Apparition


I'm still in Colombia, with a bit of a sore throat. We were out late celebrating a colleague's birthday last night, at a lovely, spacious restaurant called, in English, "Harry's Bar". Today, 10 hours of meetings. These trips are a challenge to my stamina. Going from arctic NY weather to 70F and back to arctic tomorrow also wears on the system : - )

A few weeks ago, I saw Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth,"
the most critically acclaimed movie of 2006.

I was not disappointed.

Gothic and surreal, a fairy tale for adults, set against the background of Franco's early years, with a military tyrant and his poor young stepdaughter, who is visited by the magical Pan and asked to perform tasks.

Gripping, engaging, and edgy. One of THREE great films by Mexican directors this season, together with Alejandro González Iñárritu's "Babel" and Alfonso Cuarón's "Children of Men."

On Sunday I saw the harrowing, riveting "Last King of Scotland" and I'll have more to say on that subject shortly....



this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?