<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Slippin' Away


House guests, mega-projects, dental snafus... I'm rife with excuses for my skimpy postings... Maybe carrying around my flat cybershot camera will provide some inspiration... I can be a photoblogger, like Thomas, who, btw, just arrived last night on his way back from Brazil... Last night I saw 'Apollo 13,' the excellent dramatization of the three moon-bound astronauts we almost lost in space when I was 10... The previous week, I had seen 'The Right Stuff,' an even better film about the dawn of the space program, leading to the first men orbiting the Earth through the Mercury program when I was a toddler. In between, during my Nursery School and Kindergarten years, there was the 'Gemini' program, 10 two-man expeditions in 1965 and 1966 aimed at teaching us to dock and maneouver in space, in preparation for the Apollo moon landings. At age 6, after I had my tonsils out, I was able to stay home, eat sorbet, and have a 'double Gemini' experience - Gemini 6 and Gemini 7 (pictured) were sent up together so we could learn how to rendez-vous in outer space...

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?