<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Adobe Afternoon


Yesterday I finally visited the realized dream of my friends Paul & Susan, who gave up lucrative NY wage slavery for the pastel-colored pleasures of life in New Mexico, crowned by the recent opening of their delightful bed & breakfast. Named 'The Old Church Road Bed & Breakfast,' the place is in two warm and expansive adobe buildings, with many spacious rooms all lovingly decorated with beautiful and colorful original artwork with a local theme. Highlights include a particularly lovely mural - is Rufino Tamayo a neighbor? - and a totem pole garden with a hearth.

Paul & Susan's inn is located in Corrales, New Mexico, easily the loveliest part of greater Albuquerque. Corrales unfolds in adobe splendor along route 448 along the still-young-and-thin Rio Grande. One traffic sign as you enter Corrales says it all:

"Drive Slow and See Our Village
Drive Fast and See Our Judge"

I did manage to get a speeding ticket for exceding their 30 miles/hour speed limit by about 8-9 miles/hour. But it'll be a $74 contribution to a worthy cause.

I'll post their website later on, I have the pamphlet in my glove compartment.

I spent last night in Truth-or-Consequences, New Mexico, 150 miles south of Corrales, apparently so named because of the TV game show. from Wikipedia: "Originally called Hot Springs, it took the name of a popular radio program in 1950, when Truth or Consequences host Ralph Edwards announced that he would do the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Ralph Edwards came to the town during the first weekend of May for the next fifty years. "

Today: I finally finish my drive, just 400 miles or so to my family in Phoenix, with a quick detour to the West Texas town of El Paso...


this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?