<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Good Day Sunshine


And on the 8th day, the sun came out and shone its shiny face upon us all... It peers through my window, I haven't been outside, I have a slight headcold.

I have seen many a movie in the past few weeks, on DVD via Netflix. Last night I saw "Porco Rosso," a delightful animé by that genre's master, Hiyao Miyazaki. The film (images shown below) takes place in the 1930s on islands of the coast of Italy where pirates and riff-raff take in jazz and red wine, not far from the refuge of a hero-pilot who's been turned into a pig, and become a legend hunting bounty in his ramshackle plane. Womanizer and recluse, secretly loving a hotel-owner-jazz-chanteuse, his world is rocked by a fatuous American swashbuckler and a spunky young female aviation engineer. It's all quite beautiful to watch. You'll remember it was Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" I saw with Christi in June, in bloody plants, after my escalator incident. His drawing is beautiful and a bit retro, flat-ish so as to feel you're watch a cartoon, not computer graphics or claymation, a cartoon, with all the disbelief-suspension that universe requires. His stories are always compelling, unusual, cliché-free.


this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?