<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 02, 2005

Places I've Never Been...


...are one of my weaknesses. I've never been to Newport, Rhode Island, and am hoping to catch a late lunch or early dinner there today, with my Mom, en route to a Labor Day Weekend in Boston. I've driven through Rhode Island dozens of times, without seeing anything there. Today, that ends.

Last night I finished "All That Heaven Allows," the 1955 Douglas Sirk technicolor weepie where stylized gloss only thinly covers the outrage felt and middle-class hypocrisy and cruelty. Excellent performances by Jane Wyman as the lonely 40-ish widow and Rock Hudson (!) as the much younger free spirit who offers her love, and (gasp) sexual satisfaction. Highly recommended.

Cartoon:


this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?