<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 28, 2005

What Is A Whirling Dervish?


In case you were wondering, click here. I don't know how that expression popped into my head.

I also had occasion to look up "hagiographic," when my friend David used the term to describe "The Motorcycle Diaries," which is about Ernesto "Che" Guevara's long motorcycle journey through Latin America as a med student. My first look-up attempt produced the unhelpful 'of or pertaining to hagiography,' and a second attempt defined it as 'biography of a saint,' which gave me a good idea what David was trying to say about how the movie pictured Guevara. My third and last shot, www.answers.com,, came up with the much better "a worshipful or idealizing biography."

Speaking of Guevara, two interesting facts: 1) He was called "che" because his Cuban fellow revoluationaries were making fun of how he and other Argentines talk. Argentines of that era interjected "che" into sentences much as we intersperse "like" or "man" or "yaknow." 2) One of Argentina's military rulers from the 60s and 70s made it illegal to name a child "Ernesto," solely because of Guevara. I think this has been repealed.

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?