<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 26, 2004

What Do All The People Know? : - )


Vanity Fair was thoroughly enjoyable and engaging, I thought. Good plotting, acting, and dialogue, and glorious period recreation - think of it as a two-hour trip to 1820 England, in interesting company. Not bad for a summer movie headlined by a Hollywood starlet. I'm glad I wasn't deterred by mixed reviews, my gut feeling was it's better to aim high (british lit) and fall short of a perfect 10. True, I hadn't read the book, and thus had no pre-existing images in my mind, esp. of heroine Becky Sharp. Reese Witherspoon (pictured here as pregnant Becky) brought a tough-girl, ambitious, somewhat mocking sensibility to the role, and created a convincing character. My friend Pat, an english lit enthusiast, was not disappointed. Now I'd like to see Bright Young Things, the adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's Vile Bodies (title reportedly changed to avoid confusion with horror films!).

This evening I'll post Friday's awful White Castle lunch party at work - the most vile meal I've eaten in ages.

Spanish Sunday / Domingo en Castellano follows, in honor of Andres in Argentina, who was my boyfriend from 1988-1993 and who I'm still very close to. He recently sent me a great poem...

Hoy es domingo, ya van 5 días que es otoño pero todavía parece verano. Hay mucho sol, lastima que tenga que trabajar por lo menos 3-4 horas para ponerme al día con mis proyectos. Anoche vi "Vanity Fair (Feria de las Vanidades)" una película que me gustó mucho a pesar de la crítica mixta que tuvo. Es a base de una novela de principios del siglo 19 y da un cuadro detallado de la sociedad inglesa de este entonces, vista por una governanta pobre que sube los escalones de la sociedad a fuerza de su genio, belleza y osadía. ¿qué mas? entre las fotos que puse esta semana hay una linda postal que Christi me envió de Cozumel donde pasó 10 días con su hija, hermana, y cuñado dedicada a natación, buceo, y la exploración de ruinas indias. David de Míami envió fotos de su entorno, hoy sufre huracán numero cuatro - la peor temporada desde hace 86 años. Pronto, fotos de perros de los cuatro rincones del mundo, aventuras de Doug en Kazakstan, y el almuerzo intragable que dieron en mi oficina el viernes. Hasta pronto, besos - Aaron

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?