<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

(16 Hour Work-)Day Of The Friend


Just worked my first grueling 16 hour day -yes, 16, from 7:45am to 12 midnight, in quite a long time. I was sequestered on a deal with a conference room full of lawyers and businesspeople, high up on the 35th floor of a Park Avenue landmark building. I was basically hostage to a make-or-break deal for my team, working beyond my normal research duties. My mind is like jello, my muscles are wobbly, I ate cookies all day and about 13 lbs of Sushi when dinner finally arrived at 9:30pm. Not healthy. But temporary, thank goodness. It resumes tomorrow at 8am. And, oh yes, in a suit and tie!

Ironically, July 20 is Friendship Day (Dia del Amigo) in Argentina, a day for celebrating personal connections, not burying oneself in work. I exchanged sweet message with my ex Andres, my friend Celia.. Celia informs me that the actual inspiration for Friendship Day was the July 20, 1969 'one giant step for mankind' - the lunar landing whose anniversary seems to have been forgotten amidst the campaign and conventions and security hubbub. In Argentina, restaurants are booked as friends go out to celebrate. Picture above is me, semi-celebratory in Paris, in one of the world's more beautiful restaurant bathrooms. I look like I've had a bit of Merlot. : - ) Well, bed time now...

p.s. If I had read the High Line site, I would have known in advance that police are agressively ticketing and arresting trespassers. Click here to see the High Line's four finalist designs and the other 716 entries, with 36 countries represented.

this entry's permalink
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?